Wednesday, September 2, 2009

August Sourcebook:


Rico Espinet Chandelier by Robert Abbey


Every month I search high and low, on-line, in-store, and off the street for products and materials for my client's projects.   I make hundreds of carefully considered recommendations over the course of a month, some months its more furniture based sourcing some months its more building materials and hardware - it all just depends on my current projects.   Of course not all the options I source over the month actually make the cut.  But here’s a peek of just some of the winning picks that I’ve specified or purchased this past month,,,,,these are things my clients have purchased, things that I’ve specified for clients and things i’ve purchased for my own use.

These items are in random order and are from more than one project.  Unfortunately you'll have to wait patiently for the 'After' photos to see just how these pieces were pulled together and where they'll soon call home.

I had my eye on the chandelier pictured above for some time, wishing I'd have the opportunity to specify it for a project.  And this month I did!   I absolutely love that it has a bit of a vintage industrial feel to it, with its historical filament bulbs and sleek wire suspension instead of chain, its a modern take on the traditional ring chandelier.    Its a perfect way to bring a bit of edgey style to more traditional furniture pieces.   When I look at it I can't help but envision this fixture adorned with some simple fresh evergreen at christmas. 


Host Chair by Lee Industries

There's several reasons why a pair of these chairs were selected as host chairs for a clients dining room table, I love the understated lines of this modern wing back - it definitely makes a stylish impact.  But the fact that this chair comes with an optional slipcover means its practical for a family with young children and it gives you the flexibility of two different looks.



Rod Back Windosor Chair by The Windsor Workshop
Made right here in Canada and worth every penny.  These beautifully crafted chairs will be enjoyed by my clients for a lifetime and then handed down to their children to enjoy for another.   Truly the antiques of our tomorrow.  You won't find a more comfortable chair, the formed seat and contoured edges make this more comfortable than almost any upholstered chair I've sat in and the way the dramatic curved back cocoons you feels simply luxurious.  I'm having these ones finished in a custom, lightly distressed paint colour like the sample above.

Ankara Area Carpet by Restoration Hardware
A classic looking pattern in an an appealing palette of olive greens, silver sage, red and cream.  I like the fact its 100% wool so its all natural, hypo-allergenic, extremely durable and naturally stain resistant.   Its also on sale right now.


A pair of custom made upholstered chairs and ottomans, similar to these.  I'm having them upholstered in a wide kakhi/taupe stripe indoor outdoor fabric.


Potter Lamp by Mitchell Gold.  
A handcrafted look and a large scale!  Available at Elte.


Stump tables by Pottery Barn.   
I particularly like mixing these organic tables with contemporary clean lined pieces especially metal and glass.  Great multifunctional tables in three sizes you can move around an use as stools or side tables.


Tolomeo Mega Wall Lamp by Artemide and available at DWR. 
  Sleek, super functional and a modern classic.  I love to use these in unexpected places.



Thin veneer stacked stone panels by Erth Coverings.  
Natural stone, variation of light warm colours, and can be used indoors and out.  This month I've specified it as a new cladding for an outdated fireplace.  Its dramatic texture will add high impact and the linear cut adds a modern organic feel.
 

Natural hide carpet from Elte.
I'm crazy about animal prints and hides.  Placed assymetrical or off centre, I find the irregular shape makes them suitable for use in oddly shaped furniture groupings or in small spaces where I find sometimes a rectangular carpet chops a space up or makes it feel boxed in, their irregular shape just flows better.

Delano Chair by Toronto based Gus Design Group available at Style Garage.
Canadian designed and made in Canada.  A stainless steel frame and tufted leather modern lounge chair in unlimited custom upholstery options but offered in several standard leather colours for $950.  A modest price for a leather lounge chair with such high end style. 


Neo Bunching Table by Crate & Barrel.
Cube shaped tables are a great option for first time homeowners or anyone starting from scratch.  I like that this simple geometric cube can grow with you, start out by using a pair of them as coffee tables, then they could be moved to either end of a sofa as end tables,,,,or on either side of a bed.