Monday, October 12, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!


This thanksgiving weekend I've been thinking a lot about food,,,,,and flowers.  Food, naturally because I love any excuse to over indulge in all my favorite foods and the opportunity to savour the crops of the harvest season!  Flowers have been on my mind too as I've been working on an article for Canadian Florist Magazine and have been contemplating the current trends in that industry as it relates to what's hot in interior design right now.   

With respect to both of these topics this thanksgiving weekend, the following images really resonate with me because of their modern simplicity.   They demonstrate that it doesn't have to take a lot of fussy details or a lot of expense to infuse a little taste of the fall season into your home.   Interiors and table settings are adorned with simple natural elements like fall branches, antlers and burlap. Seasonal food presented simply and beautifully in an artistic way that showcases the food itself, complimented by wood planks or pheasant feathers.  For me when I cook, I put as much attention into the way I serve the meal as I do in preparing the food itself - when it comes to the presentation, its all about creating an experience.

One of my favorite sources of inspiration when it comes to beautiful and simple floral arrangements is the portfolio of New York based Interior Designer Brad Ford.   The image above is from his blog Design Therapy and you can view more images of this stunning home here.





The three images above are from the recent wedding of Canadian House & Home editor Suzanne Dimma.  The wedding took place last month at her newly built off-the-grid island cottage, designed by her Architect husband, Arrizz Hassam of 3rd Uncle Design.  Dinner was an intimate harvest feast for 24.  You can view more images and read all about this gorgeous modern-rustic wedding on Suzanne's blog.  Photos by Andreas Avdoulos.


Top Photo:  Country Living Magazine