Thursday, May 13, 2010

Upload: May 12, 2010






I take a lot of photos every day and typically I upload them onto my laptop 2 or 3 times a week, sometimes hundreds at a time.  Collectively the photos are a snap shot of where I've been, what I've been sourcing, job site progress, what I find inspiring, things I love,  and things that I find interesting and worth keeping on file for future reference.   Here's a sampling of the latest images uploaded from my camera.



I found these two tile options for a fireplace I'm designing, one is made up of river rocks in resin which I thought was a great way to use river rocks in a more contemporary way.  The other is a beautiful marble with these fluid horizontal lines in soft bluey/greys and soft yellow tones - it reminded me of the sand and waves. 





I was on the hunt for a pair of twin cows and after an exhausting search (finding a pair of anything is always a challenge) I found a pair, not identical twins but closely related!   They'll be used to upholster a pair of custom benches.



I'm always amazed at the treasures stored away in my clients basements and attics.  This chair was found in the basement of my clients mom's house, inherited from her sister when she passed away.  I think it's a wonderful fit with this antique vanity I found for her back in January, some new fabric for the seat or a short slipcover skirt and its will be perfect!



Also stored away in the same basement, a pair of early 1900 antique lamps bought decades ago in Paris by the same Aunt.  They have solid brass bases with hand painted fabric shades and silk tassels.  Rare and gorgeous family treasures.....how gorgeous do they look on the little girl's vintage dressing table!


After hanging a series of botanicals in this same little girl's bedroom, the only thing now left for them to do is fill the bookcase up......




A favorite fixture I use a lot, its a bargain at less than $34.  Its perfect in character style homes and is great in hallways, laundry rooms or mudrooms. (from Lowes)



I was considering this large metal sphere pendant for a huge tall cathedral ceiling in Gails' Kitchen.......



But this one is the one we're going with, well almost like this - we're having this made taller, wider and with 8 lights instead of 4.  I love the distressed finish and the fact that its handcrafted by a local artisan.



My search for a 3 light island fixture came up short,,,,we have to have 3 lights but can only have one central junction box so a multi-light style fixture is the way to go.  I'd like something like this but not in this metal colour.


I like the colour of this metal and the vintage look but I'm looking for something with glass shades to give both up and downlighting.  But this fixture was a steal at only $499 (Union Home).


I liked the heritage style of this one and the glass shades but still hoping to find something more industrial or utilitarian looking.



I think I take a picture of these candlesticks everytime I'm in Crate & Barrel,,,,,they're hand crafted and I love them - they're on my own wish list!



Some modern style planters found at Loblaws garden centre.  3 sizes and 3 colours, but I realy wish they had them in white....



Accidental self portrait.  So whenever I upload my photos there's always about a dozen pictures likes this,,,,,me putting my camera in my bag. The touch screen on my Iphone drives me crazy!  In addition to daily shots like this, I also have a series of blurry photos of my feet and dark shots of the inside of my pockets.



A stack of vintage crates makes an instant bookcase, Queen West Antiques (next 6 photos)



I was crazy for this vintage bookcase, the flip up doors were missing the knobs but that's an easy fix.  I LOVE that the glass doors make each shelf like a display cabinet and its so practical for keeping the dust out.  I had to plant myself in front of it and email my client photos on the spot as someone else was inquiring about it at the same time as me.  Unfortunately,  it was slightly over this clients budget so I had to pass on it. : (  But I really regret having to do so, pieces like this truly make a space.


I'm seeing lots of vintage industrial style pieces popping up everywhere, and I love them.


Chair, Desk, Lamp.  Yes. Yes. Yes.


If I had an office to plan, I'd scoop up this modern classic cabinet in a heartbeat.  The amount of storage was fantastic and there were drawers inside drawers, and pullout shelves....


For the cool kids.....


Yes, I even take my camera to the ladies room with me - you never know when or where you'll discover some design inspiration!!  This bathroom was worth a second visit, it was so well done - i think it was the unexpected tree branches, so sculptural and organic and the combination of all white with the warm natural wood - always a winner with me.


The stalls were all wood and the full wall of mirror was perfectly used to create the illusion of depth and repetition.



Directly centred over each w/c was a pot light, you can see how dramatic the effect was....(not something we want to do at home!!).



The artwork was behind glass on metal standoffs.  The wall tile throughout was all white but was an interesting 3d basketweave pattern that had lots of texture.



A salvaged door with the most beautiful patina, I blogged about this door last week and the different ways I could imagine repurposing it.   Some smart ass commentor, who shall remain nameless, asked why I wouldn't just use it as a door!?  Well, because that would be EXPECTED.  ; )



I know a curler or two who might be interested in this!  What a beauty.



A visit to The Door Store (2 photos above, 8 photos below) is always inspiring - the store is full of the most gorgeous vignettes and full of examples on how to beautifully display collections.  Look at these old balusters, at only $20 ea they would make stunning pillar candle holders or simply displayed as is.



These beautiful vintage tiles were so pretty, i think they'd be wonderful mounted individually in frames.



Can you spot all the scottie dogs,,,,,,I love this display. : )


A collection of old pudding molds.  I think they look amazing displayed on this marble topped chest, a grouping of anything all the same has great visual impact as do a pair of lamps,  and nothing makes a statement like a pair of black shades, always a favorite of mine.



I think this was one of my favorite displays, a collection of old plaster moulds from a picture frame company hung above a fireplace.



Vintage blue glass jars - I'm picking up several of these for Gail's kitchen...



Industrial drawers - these are hot right now!



Hand made pottery, nothing over $20,,,,,



I think I could have done several blog posts just from this upload alone but I don't think I'd be able to write them fast enough to keep up with all the new daily images I have.  I'll have to start uploading photos more frequently i think....



My favorite photo of the past two weeks,,,,,construction underway on Gail's Kitchen!