Saturday, July 4, 2009

Craig's List - What I See

Whenver I check-out Craig's list, I find all kinds of things I want to buy, if i wasn't short on storage space I'd be out picking up some of these great finds right now!  All of the pieces below were from Saturday morning's postings in Toronto.  Some people might look at all of this stuff and think its just junk,,,but I see nothing but potential and my mind starts envisioning all the ways I would use these pieces.

I logged on and instantly spotted these Hans Werner style, folding rope chairs.  Perfect for a beach house or cottage feel, they have a modern Scandinavian design to them and they fold up for easy storage (hmm, maybe i can find room for them afterall?).  Only $200 for four, so at $50 per chair, compare that to what your options are for purchasing new at this price and you'll realize these are a steal.  Great style, solid natural materials and totally unique.
 



How perfect would they be in this modern Scandinavian cottage....


I definitely have a passion for vintage chairs, and I have a basement full of them already or else I'd add these two to my collection.  I particularly like the caning on the seats and I think they would be perfect paired with a bistro table in a kitchen or around a mid-century modern tulip base table.  I would be tempted to wipe them with a black stain or paint and pair them with another pair of similar vintage chairs.  The seller is asking $35 per chair or best offer.



Paired with a tulip base table like this.......


or a bistro table like this......

Here's a solid wood vintage desk chair that I just adore.  I can't help but envision this paired with a modern simple desk.  A chrome and glass workhorse style desk or a sleek lacquered parsons table desk in white, or,,,maybe spring green.   The seller was asking $49 or best offer.



Highlight the patinaed wood and vintage shape by mixing it with a sleek modern desk like these.......



Two of my favorite desks above, the workhorse table desk by Williams Sonoma Home and the parsons table desk by West Elm with its pair of drawers.  The parsons desk is also available in white, similar to to the photo below, where i can easily imagine this vintage chair mixing perfectly with the clean contemporary style of this home office.


I also came across something that was a little pricier than the items above, but I was taken by how unique it was.  Originally made to be a vanity, with pop-up mirror, I think this would make a perfect desk in an elegant urban condo or home that doesn't have a lot of space.  Its made of beautiful mahogany with antique brass hardware and simple lines.  A perfect place to use a laptop and you could discreetly put your things away in the compartment under the top when not in use.  I like to pair traditional pieces like this with more modern items like lucite and nickel.  I envision this desk paired with a Ghost chair, a nickel task lamp and a wonderful piece of original art, or framed black & white photos above.  For $450, this still beats anything you could buy new for this price.






For a modern traditional look, pair this with lucite and nickel, and some great contemporary artwork like the items shown below.

When I look at old used furniture I can see potential in almost anything - in the right context, in the right setting, with the right pairings, i think anything can take on a new fresh look.  I spotted all of the items above (and more) in about 10 min.  So you can imagine how easily I run out of storage space!   The next time you need a pair of chairs, or set of drawers,,,,before surfing the catalogues check out your local classifieds and you might find some one of a kind bargains.

Photos:  Craigs List, Craigs List, DesireToInspire, Craigs List, Ikea, Nate Berkus, Craigs List, Williams Sonoma Home, West Elm, House & Home, Craigs List (2), (collage top left clockwise) Restoration Hardware, Kartell, Art Interiors, Art.com